Saturday, May 23, 2009

Board Games and Other Thoughts

After watching a Monopoly game continue for roughly five hours, I cannot begin to describe how much I love being the first player to go bankrupt. Not too many feeling can compare to the joy of watching two other folks wiggle in their seats because they are too prideful to quit playing. Just in the past hour I've watched little baby birds sleeping in a nest, taught a friend how to play backgammon, and win a game of Connect-Four. 


I also built a bird-house today. I painted it "Water Flow" blue . . . it is beautiful. It's hanging on a telephone pole so that I can see it every time I drive to work. I know it's too late in the year for a bird to nest in it, but there will be plenty of time for nature to break it in. By this time next year, I should see a mama bird popping in there to feed her babies. 

While building the little home for my winged friends, I began to remember how blistering Tennessee heat is. I had been spoiled by tame Michigan summers, but now I am back in the wild heat of the South. I was only painting the house a few minutes before I my hair was sticking to the back of my neck. They say women don't sweat; they glow. That's a huge lie. I've spent a good deal of time trying to be a proper woman, but it's rather impossible sitting on a front porch in the  blazing heat. I suppose the "proper" thing to do is excuse yourself and wander gracefully into the house. I wandered in and made a crash landing for a nap. 

All in all, it has been a fantastic Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment