Friday, June 19, 2009

My European Home



While driving through Hungary, I realized the landscape seemed to be a carbon-copy of Ohio. If you know me, you'll know that Ohio landscape is not a great start for a 60 day trip.

But as I sit in the living room of my parent's small block apartment, I try to think back on any expectation I had for Romania. My mom refused to show me the pictures of the apartment in Tennessee for fear that I wouldn't come. That was motivating! For the first time since 2nd grade, I'll be sharing a room with my brother; it should be interesting to say the least.
The picture is the view from the bathroom window; I chose that view because I liked the fact the window was punched th
rough the wall. All of these apartments were built by the government during the communist era. Some pretty wild things went down, and Romania is just starting to bounce back from it. At first I wondered at the little country houses that were painted any color of the rainbow, but then I realized that these people had been so starved for color for so many years. It is sad, but it makes sense. I absolutely love living with the bare essentials, though. I think that is certainly something I could be happy with . . . a small apartment, a kitchen big enough to cook, a fridge big enough to hold drinks and a few perishables, and a bedroom that is cozy. As long as I can look at the sky and have a good book next to me, I'm satisfied.

The next picture is of my father and me. Yes, I'm wearing one of thoooose scarves, but it's only because I'll be able to say, "Oh, this? It's just a scarf that I got when I lived in Europe." ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment