Sunday, June 28, 2009

"On an Evening in Roma"



After seeing the major sights in Rome, there is still one thing that stands out more than any other. At the Borghese Gallery, I was given the chance to sit and observe sculptures by Bernini and countless other famous artists. With all of the breathtaking artwork, none were more beautiful than a painting by Jacopo Zucchi. I've inserted a picture I found on Google Images, but nothing can really do it justice. Sorry if you don't like nudies in your art, but I just find it breathtaking. I always feel such a sorrow for Psyche after she knows who her lover is. I do think C.S. Lewis captured the story perfectly in his book, Till We Have Faces.

In short, Rome was spectacular. In my mind, there really aren't enough right words to describe it to someone; all I can say is that you have to go there. You have to stand in the middle of the Colosseum, sit at a edge of the Trevi Fountain, and walk to the top of Palatine Hill. Everyone (even those who are not deeply religious) need to stand in awe of the awesomeness of St. Peter's Basilica.

Even as I bumped along the cobblestone roads to the airport, I kept thinking that I'll be back in Rome some time. My Chacos may be a little more worn out at that point, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment